The definitive leadership experience for campuses focused on student-driven alternative break programs.
The Alternative Break Citizenship schools (ABCs) are week-long experiential training sessions that provide college student and staff leaders the knowledge, skills, and connections they need to start or strengthen a quality alternative break program.
The ABCs combine aspects of a national conference - workshops, discussions, and planning sessions - with the education, reflection, and direct service of an alternative break. Throughout the week, participants spend time engaging in an experience centered around the best practices and details of organizing an alternative break.
The result is a dynamic experiential learning opportunity. The ABCs encourage participants to synthesize skills and knowledge gained in workshops with meaningful interactions in the community and with other student and staff leaders from campuses nationwide.
Apply to Host a 2017 ABCs!
Before you start, and this is important, we've made a concerted effort to create a proposal that is very detailed - asking you to consider every aspect of hosting the ABCs. Please don't let this scare you away. (It's Break Away, we're nice!) If you find yourself overwhelmed by the level of detail or are unsure about any of the questions, just let us know. We're flexible and also happy to walk through any components of hosting the ABCs you aren't sure about. We want hosting the ABCs to be 1) mutually beneficial and 2) low maintenance for our partners. Still interested? Great, press on!
If you'd like to submit a proposal to host one of the 2017 ABCs, you will find the full application below. If you're interested, but would like to chat with a Break Away staff member before completing the full application, feel free to submit an interest form below, and we'll be in touch to schedule a call.
The deadline for submitting a proposal is Tuesday, January 10. Some applicants may be contacted for more information during the second or third week of January, and all applicants will be notified of their standing by January 31, 2017.ABCs Host Interest Form
If your school or organization is selected as a host for the 2017 ABCs, you will:
- Have the opportunity to send up to four participants at no cost to your program.
- Work with Break Away staff directly to develop conference logistics and to draw more alternative break groups to your organization and community.
- Benefit from the almost 1,000 hours of direct service work contributed by participants.
- Gain meaningful media attention for your organization and community.
- Gain or build relationships with local community partners.
- Connect your organization and community with staff and students from up to 50 different institutions and alternative break programs.
- Increase the number of alternative break groups working in your city. For example, after the 2013 ABCs on Regional Renewal in Metro Detroit, over 15 alternative break programs sent students on a similar experience during the following school year.