Apply to Host the 2020 Alternative Break Citizenship schools (ABCs)
We’re thrilled to announce the search for compelling host applications for the 2020 ABCs season. Break Away is pleased to invite organizations and schools to host, co-host, or sponsor one (or more!) of this summer’s four national conferences.
We've hosted ABCs in partnership with institutions as varied as Brown University, Eastern Michigan University, Florida International University, Keene State College, Northern Arizona University, The Ohio State University, University of Utah, University of South Carolina - Upstate, and Xavier University. We've also partnered with Hostelling International in Boston, Chicago, Houston, and San Francisco and with organizations such as the National Park Service.
We’ve hosted ABCs focused on issues such as Preserving Native Nationhood, Land, and Culture; Sexual Violence Prevention and Response; Reframing Disability: Communities of Independence and Self-Determination; Local Food in a Globalized World; Navigating Access, Integration, and Citizenship as New Americans; and Minimizing Human Impact in a Changing Climate.
If your organization or institution is selected as a host for the 2020 ABCs, you will:
- Have the opportunity to send up to four conference participants at no cost.
- Work with Break Away staff directly to influence conference planning and logistics.
- Benefit from the almost 700 hours of direct service work contributed by participants.
- Receive meaningful media attention for your institution and community.
- Gain or build relationships with local community leaders and organizations.
- Connect your organization and community with staff and students from up to 50 different institutions and alternative break programs.
- Increase the number of alternative break groups working in your community. For example, after the Regional Renewal ABCs in the Metro Detroit area, over 15 alternative break programs sent students on a similar experience during the following school year.
Ready to get started? Submit the interest form by Monday, January 6.Submit an Interest Form!
After receiving your interest form, Break Away staff will be in touch to discuss the feasibility of hosting with your campus or organization and give you a better overview of the process. Applicants invited to submit the full proposal will receive the direct link, and must complete the full proposal form by Tuesday, January 21.
Need a sense of what the full proposal process entails? Read up on the components of hosting or reach out to us with questions.Full Proposal Preview
Interested, but want to lower the stakes? Consider working collaboratively and apply to co-host the ABCs.
Interested and ready to raise the stakes? Contact us to discuss sponsorship opportunities.