Each year, Break Away invites organizations and schools to submit proposals to host, co-host, or sponsor one (or more!) of our four annual national conferences.
We've hosted ABCs in partnership with institutions as varied as Brown University, Eastern Michigan University, Florida International University, Keene State College, Northern Arizona University, The Ohio State University, University of Utah, University of South Carolina - Upstate, and Xavier University. We've also partnered with Hostelling International in Boston, Chicago, Houston, and San Francisco and with organizations such as the National Park Service.
We’ve hosted ABCs focused on issues such as Preserving Native Nationhood, Land, and Culture; Sexual Violence Prevention and Response; Reframing Disability: Communities of Independence and Self-Determination; Local Food in a Globalized World; Navigating Access, Integration, and Citizenship as New Americans; and Minimizing Human Impact in a Changing Climate.
Organizations and institutions selected as a host for the ABCs will:
- Have the opportunity to send up to four conference participants at no cost.
- Work with Break Away staff directly to influence conference planning and logistics.
- Benefit from the almost 700 hours of direct service work contributed by participants.
- Receive meaningful media attention for your institution and community.
- Gain or build relationships with local community leaders and organizations.
- Connect your organization and community with staff and students from up to 50 different institutions and alternative break programs.
- Increase the number of alternative break groups working in your community. For example, after the Regional Renewal ABCs in the Metro Detroit area, over 15 alternative break programs sent students on a similar experience during the following school year.
We’ve completed the selection process for the 2020 conference season. We'll begin scheduling interest calls for the 2021 ABCs in December 2020. After a phone call with a member of our team to discuss the feasibility of hosting with your campus or organization, selected applicants will be invited to complete a full proposal, which is typically due in January.Submit an Interest Form!
In the meantime, we encourage you to attend an ABCs this summer! While prior attendance is not a requirement to be selected as a future host, it helps to understand what makes the magic happen.
Curious what the full proposal process entails? Read up on the components of hosting or reach out to us with questions.Full Proposal Preview