It is no surprise that the future of volunteering and service work is rapidly changing. All of the changes that are happening will not be short-lived and we have the unique advantage of reimagining how we do this work.
At Break Away, we are looking for opportunities to continue active citizenship and informed participation — even and especially in the middle of a pandemic. Now is the time to do what is right and pursue a just and equitable society. We are truly better together.
The world we wish to see will happen through collective work and hyper-local engagement. Here we have started a list that will be added to as community organizations make their virtual opportunities known to us.
Have a service project to suggest?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Updated March 26th, 2021
- Bookshare – Help people with disabilities access the written world by scanning books or cleaning up the files used to create accessible books.
- The Human Voicebank – All you have to do is read a few sentences to contribute your voice to be used in assistive technology for people who are unable to vocalize.
- StoryCorps – remind the nation that every story matters and every voice counts. Add to the conversation.
- Provide high schoolers tutoring in math or science, SAT prep, or college counseling with UPchieve.
- Identify New York Wildlife, map our galaxy, or assist researchers in many other ways with Zooniverse.
- Shelter the World – You can further the cause of global housing by signing up as a virtual volunteer, which means helping out through social media and online awareness.
- Answer texts and chats from LGBTQ folks in crisis using active listening and collaborative problem solving with The Trevor Project.
- Answer texts from people in crisis using active listening and collaborative problem solving with Crisis Text Line.