It is no surprise that the future of volunteering and service work is rapidly changing. All of the changes that are happening will not be short-lived and we have the unique advantage of reimagining how we do this work.
At Break Away, we are looking for opportunities to continue active citizenship and informed participation — even and especially in the middle of a pandemic. Now is the time to do what is right and pursue a just and equitable society. We are truly better together.
The world we wish to see will happen through collective work and hyper-local engagement. Here we have started a list that will be added to as community organizations make their virtual opportunities known to us.
Have a service project to suggest?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Updated September 10, 2020
- Bookshare – Help people with disabilities access the written world by scanning books or cleaning up the files used to create accessible books.
- The Human Voicebank – All you have to do is read a few sentences to contribute your voice to be used in assistive technology for people who are unable to vocalize.
- Senior Homies – swap stories with an older adult to decrease isolation during COVID-19.
- StoryCorps – remind the nation that every story matters and every voice counts. Add to the conversation.
- Write letters to healthcare workers. All you have to do is visit this site and fill out the volunteer form. You can write them a traditional letter or send a digital text or photo message.
- Get in touch with your local representatives concerning advocacy issues caused by COVID-19.
- Help raise awareness and support for PPE, ventilators, and senior support through Health4theWorld.
- Provide high schoolers tutoring in math or science, SAT prep, or college counseling with UPchieve.
- Identify New York Wildlife, map our galaxy, or assist researchers in many other ways with Zooniverse.
- Test, evaluate, or develop elements of the National Park Service’s online presence.
- Shelter the World – You can further the cause of global housing by signing up as a virtual volunteer, which means helping out through social media and online awareness.
Justice + Legal Services
- Centro de los Derechos del Migrante Inc. (CDM) – Reach volunteers, beneficiaries, and supporters who speak a different language by translating their communications materials.
- Census 2020 – Encourage people to fill out the 2020 census!
- Conduct research into global human rights violations through Amnesty International.
- Answer texts from people in crisis using active listening and collaborative problem solving with Crisis Text Line.